Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked arborio rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup white wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a small saucepan, heat broth and keep warm. In a large nonstick skillet, saute shallots in butter until tender, 2-3 minutes. Add the rice, thyme and pepper; cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Stir in wine and lemon juice; cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in heated broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Allow liquid to absorb between additions. Cook just until risotto is creamy and rice is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add the peas, cheese and lemon zest; cook until heated through. Serve immediately.
1/2 cup: 206 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 407mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 0.500 fat.