- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- In a large saucepan, bring lentils and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil; add to saucepan. Add the tomatoes, carrots, thyme and marjoram. Cook 30 minutes longer or until lentils and vegetables are tender.
1 cup: 142 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 712mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein.