- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- Optional: Olive oil, cracked black pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the broccoli, onion and broth; simmer until vegetables are tender, 10-15 minutes. Puree half of the mixture in a blender; return to the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and 3 tablespoons of milk until smooth. Gradually add remaining milk. Stir into the broccoli mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. If desired, serve with a drizzle of olive oil and black pepper.
3/4 cup: 120 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 385mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat-free milk.