- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 large egg, room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, lightly brown ground beef, green pepper and onion; drain. Add tomato sauce, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Combine egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Pour over beef mixture.
- Bake at 400° until golden, 20-25 minutes. Serve in skillet, or cool briefly, then run a knife around edge of skillet and invert on a serving plate; cut into wedges.
1 each: 432 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 22g protein.