Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk eggs and milk; stir into crumb mixture just until moistened.
- Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.
1 piece: 308 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.