- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a large plastic bag, combine 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil until no longer pink. Add the green pepper, celery and onions; cook and stir for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, soy sauce and remaining salt and pepper. Cover and bake at 325° for 2 hours.
- Remove from the oven and return to stovetop. In a small bowl, combine water and remaining flour until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir sauce for 2 minutes or until thickened.
If Cooking for Two: Freeze serving-size portions in airtight containers or freezer bags.
1 each: 257 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1033mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.