- 3 quarts water
- 4 bone-in beef short ribs (2 pounds)
- 2 to 3 meaty soup bones, beef shanks or short ribs (about 2 pounds)
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 celery ribs, halved
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 4 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 parsnips, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg, optional
- 1 package (8 ounces) egg noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large kettle, combine water, ribs, soup bones, tomatoes, celery, onion, 1/4 cup parsley, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- With a slotted spoon, remove meat, bones and vegetables. Strain broth and skim off fat; return all but 1 cup broth to kettle. Set reserved broth aside. Remove meat from the bones; dice and return to kettle. Discard celery and onion. Cut parsnips, carrots and tomatoes into 1/2-in. pieces and return to kettle. Add remaining parsley.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, flour, nutmeg if desired and reserved broth; stir into soup. Add noodles. Cook and stir until thickened and heated through (do not boil).
1 cup: 214 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 449mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.