- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small sweet red pepper, cut into strips
- 2/3 cup picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, optional
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 green onions with tops, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- Sliced almonds, optional
- Hot cooked rice
- Toss meat with soy sauce, ginger and orange zest; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet on high. Stir-fry mixture just until meat is no longer pink; remove. Add broccoli, pepper, picante sauce and sugar to skillet. Cover; reduce heat to simmer. Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and orange juice until smooth; add to skillet along with meat and onions. Cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Serve with rice.
1 serving (calculated without rice): 230 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.