- 1-1/3 cups water
- 2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 medium cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1 cup shelled pistachios, toasted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 medium navel orange
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12-14 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine romaine, beans, mandarin oranges, cucumber, pistachios, onion and cooled quinoa. In a small bowl, finely grate zest from orange. Cut orange crosswise in half; squeeze juice from orange and add to zest. Whisk in oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad; toss to coat.
1 cup: 257 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.