- 1 loaf (12 ounces) French bread, cut in 1-inch slices
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1-1/3 cups chopped pecans, walnuts or hickory nuts
- Fill a well-greased 13x9-in. baking dish with bread slices to within 1/2 in. of top; set aside.
- In blender, combine the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and mace; cover and process until blended. Pour over bread slices. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients. Spread over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° until puffed and golden, 50-55 minutes. (Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.)
1 serving: 749 calories, 44g fat (19g saturated fat), 268mg cholesterol, 542mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.