- 1-1/2 cups finely diced green peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small skillet, saute peppers in 1 tablespoon oil for 15 minutes or until tender; set aside.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. In a large saucepan, heat the milk, honey, salt and remaining oil to 110°-115°. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese. Stir in 2 eggs and reserved peppers; add to yeast mixture. Add 2 cups flour and wheat germ; beat until smooth. Sir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; spoon into two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Beat water and remaining egg; brush over loaves. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
1 slice: 143 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.