- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup salad shrimp, chopped
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned bean sprouts, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 refrigerated egg roll wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- SWEET 'N' SOUR SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice, optional
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large skillet, cook pork over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove pork with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir-fry the cabbage, celery and onions in oil until crisp-tender. Add the shrimp, water chestnuts, bean sprouts, garlic, soy sauce, sugar and reserved pork; stir-fry 4 minutes longer or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Position one egg roll wrapper with a corner facing you. Spoon 1/3 cup filling on the bottom third of wrapper. Fold a bottom corner over filling; fold sides over filling toward center. Moisten top corner with water; roll up tightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry egg rolls for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch and seasoned salt in a saucepan; gradually add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with egg rolls.
1 egg roll: 404 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.