- 4 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches)
- 4 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped plum tomatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Preheat broiler. Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; with a spoon, scrape and remove gills. Brush caps with 4 teaspoons oil. Place in an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan, stem side down. Broil 4 in. from heat 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, cheese, Italian seasoning and remaining oil. Remove mushrooms from broiler; turn over and fill caps with tomato mixture.
- Broil 4-6 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted. Serve on buns.
Editor's Note: Mushrooms may also be grilled. Place mushroom caps on grill rack over medium heat, stem side down. Grill, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from grill; fill caps with tomato mixture. Grill, covered, 4-6 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is melted. Serve on buns.
1 burger: 284 calories, 13g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 vegetable.