- 3 quarts sliced peeled apples (about 12 medium)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ice cream, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; cook and stir over medium heat just until apples are tender. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pat half of flour mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Spread apples over top; crumble remaining flour mixture over apples.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.
1 piece: 374 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 177mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.