- 4 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup chopped dates or raisins
- 1/3 cup plus 2-1/2 tablespoons chopped pecans, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Half-and-half cream or whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine bread cubes, dates and 1/3 cup pecans; place in a greased 2-qt. shallow baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and cloves. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into pumpkin mixture. Pour over bread cubes and toss gently. Sprinkle with remaining nuts.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 1 hour. Serve warm or chilled with cream if desired.
1 serving: 261 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.