- 1 medium sweet red pepper
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Broil red pepper 4 in. from the heat until skin is blistered, about 6 minutes. With tongs, rotate pepper a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place pepper in a bowl; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel and discard charred skin. Remove stem and seeds; set pepper aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the carrots, onion and rice in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the broth, water, orange juice, dill, orange zest, salt, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until carrots and rice are tender. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a blender, puree carrot mixture and roasted pepper in small batches. Return to the pan; heat through.
1-1/2 cups: 162 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 802mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.