- 1-1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups cubed peeled rutabagas
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown beef in 1 tablespoon oil. Remove beef; drain drippings.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan; saute onions and garlic for 8-10 minutes over medium heat or until lightly browned. Add the paprika, caraway, pepper, cayenne and seasoning blend; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Return beef to pan. Add broth, potatoes, carrots and rutabagas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender and meat is almost tender.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-40 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with sour cream.
1 cup: 207 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 16g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.