- 6 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
- 6 green onions, chopped
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place sweet potatoes in a 15x10x1-in. pan; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn to coat. Bake until tender, 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-low heat until crisp; drain. Discard all but 4 teaspoons drippings.
- Cook celery and onion in drippings over medium heat until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute. Add beef stock and balsamic vinegar; simmer until liquid is reduced by half, 5-8 minutes. Add paprika and, if desired, cumin; cook 1 minute longer.
- Pour balsamic mixture over sweet potatoes; add bacon. Toss to coat. Top with green onions and, if desired, minced fresh parsley; serve immediately.
1/2 cup: 287 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 413mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.