- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cooked Italian sausage links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: Additional grated Parmesan cheese and minced fresh parsley
- Cook pasta and squash according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage and onion; cook and stir until sausage is browned and onion is tender; keep warm.
- In a small bowl, mix the cooked squash, cheese, salt, parsley and pepper until blended. Drain pasta; transfer to a serving plate. Spoon squash mixture over pasta; top with sausage mixture. If desired, sprinkle with additional cheese and parsley.
3/4 cup pasta with 1/2 cup sausage and 1/4 cup squash: 468 calories, 26g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 705mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.