- 10 uncooked manicotti shells
- 8 ounces turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Cook manicotti according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble sausage into a nonstick skillet; add the red pepper and onion. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Drain manicotti; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the sausage mixture, egg whites, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, fennel and pepper. Stuff into manicotti shells. Combine spaghetti sauce and water; spread 1/2 cup in an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Arrange shells over sauce; top with remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
2 each: 462 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 1418mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 39g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat-free milk.