- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh basil and crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, zucchini, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, water, broth, dried basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil and pepper flakes if desired.
1 cup: 128 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 528mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat.