- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water, divided
- 15 pitted dried plums (prunes)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, brown the meat in oil over medium heat. Remove meat; keep warm. Add onion to the drippings. Saute onion until tender, scraping the pan to loosen browned bits; drain. Add the salt, browning sauce if desired, pepper, 3/4 cup water and dried plums. Bring to a boil; return meat to the pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove meat; keep warm.
- Skim fat from the pan. Combine the cornstarch and the remaining water until smooth. Stir into pan drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thicken. Serve with ribs and rice.
1 cup: 303 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 629mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.