- 2 pounds dried navy beans
- 4 quarts water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 pound bacon or salt pork, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Sort beans and rinse with cold water. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Return to Dutch oven; add 4 qts. water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are almost tender. Drain and reserve liquid. Combine beans with the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to two ungreased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes or bean pots. Add 1-1/2 cups reserved cooking liquid to each casserole; stir to combine.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until beans are as thick as desired, stirring occasionally. Add more of the reserved cooking liquid if needed.
Tip: If several batches are needed, cook and serve in an electric roaster for convenience.
3/4 cup: 268 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 13g fiber), 13g protein.