Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 3 pounds beef stew meat
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine or additional beef broth, divided
- 3/4 pound medium fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 thick-sliced bacon strip, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian tomato paste
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown beef in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon to a 4- or 5-qt slow cooker. Add flour; toss to coat. Add broth and 1 cup wine.
- In the same skillet, add the mushrooms, onion, carrots and bacon; cook and stir over medium heat until carrots are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add remaining wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; stir in tomato paste. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until beef is tender. Serve with noodles.
1-1/2 cups: 428 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 843mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 47g protein.