- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) white hominy, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives, optional
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add flour, salt, mustard and cayenne; cook and stir until smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in cheese until melted.
- Remove from the heat; add hominy and olives if desired. Pour into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs; sprinkle over hominy mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden.
1 each: 211 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.