- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- 1 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 cup olive oil
- Hot cooked pasta
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor; cover and pulse until chopped. Add the walnuts, lemon juice and zest; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Serve desired amount of pesto with pasta. Transfer remaining pesto to ice cube trays. Cover and freeze up to 1 month.
- To use frozen pesto: Thaw in the refrigerator for 3 hours. Serve with pasta.
2 tablespoons: 177 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.