- 1 package (16 ounces) dried green split peas
- 8 cups water
- 3/4 pound potatoes (about 2 medium), cubed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham (about 10 ounces)
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 5 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Place all ingredients in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Health Tip: Adding only 2 cups cubed ham adds lots of savory flavor, but keeps sodium under 400 mg per serving.
1 cup: 202 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 11g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat.