- 1 French bread baguette, cut into 36 slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh peas, shelled
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Brush baguette slices with oil. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until toasted.
- Place peas in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons cooking liquid.
- Transfer peas to a food processor; add the sugar, mint, vinegar, garlic, lemon peel, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid. Cover and process until pureed.
- In a small bowl, combine creme fraiche and lemon juice. Spread 2 teaspoons pea puree over each baguette slice; top with 1/4 teaspoon lemon creme.
Nutrition Facts 1 piece: 44 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 71mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 0.500 starch.
Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links.