- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 heads leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup sunflower kernels
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, 1/4 cup sugar, vinegar, onion, mustard and salt until sugar is completely dissolved; set aside.
- Place pecans in a small heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until nuts are toasted. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cook and stir for 2-4 minutes or until sugar is melted. Spread on foil to cool. Break apart.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, strawberries, cheese, sunflower kernels and sugared pecans. Drizzle with vinaigrette; toss to coat.
3/4 cup: 247 calories, 19g fat (3g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 149mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.