- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the rhubarb, sugar and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5-8 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and mixture is thickened. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold a fourth of the whipped cream into the custard. Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 2-1/2-qt. trifle bowl. Spread with half of the rhubarb mixture; top with 1 cup of strawberries and half of the custard. Repeat layers. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
3/4 cup: 189 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 151mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.