Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- In a food processor, process almonds until ground; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the ground almonds.
- Divide dough in half; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Cut lengthwise into three strips; cut each strip widthwise into six pieces. With a 3/4-in. round cutter, cut out a circle in the center of half of the pieces (discard circles).
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, combine lemon juice and remaining sugar; thinly spread over whole cookies. Top with cutout cookies; fill center with 1/2 teaspoon jam.
1 each: 191 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.