- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Trim all visible fat from steak. Freeze, covered, until firm, about 30 minutes. Slice steak along the grain into long 1/8-in.-thick strips.
- Transfer to a large resealable container. In a small bowl, whisk remaining ingredients; add to beef. Seal container and turn to coat. Refrigerate 2 hours or overnight, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 170°. Transfer beef and marinade to a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove beef from marinade. Drain on paper towels; pat dry. Discard marinade.
- Arrange beef strips in single layer on wire racks placed on 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Dry in oven until beef becomes dry and leathery, 3-4 hours, rotating pans occasionally. (Or use a commercial dehydrator or smoker, following manufacturer's directions.)
- Remove from oven; cool completely. Using paper towels, blot any beads of oil on jerky. Store jerky, covered, in refrigerator or freezer.
1 ounce: 132 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 139mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat.