- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, half of the thyme and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown meatballs; drain and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion, carrots and mushrooms in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the potatoes, broth, tomatoes, meatballs and remaining thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
1 cup: 190 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 775mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.