- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- Optional: Chopped tomatoes and minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onions 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in lentils, seasonings and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and tomato paste; heat through. Serve with yogurt and, if desired, tomatoes and cilantro.
Health Tip: Cup for cup, lentils have twice as much protein and iron as quinoa.
3/4 cup: 294 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 419mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 8g fiber), 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.