- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 6 cups torn iceberg lettuce
- 5 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- In a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, cook and stir 4 tablespoons of sugar until melted and golden brown. Stir in the almonds until well coated. Remove to waxed paper to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and remaining sugar. In a large bowl, combine the lettuces, oranges and onion. Break apart caramelized almonds; add to salad. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat.
1 cup: 116 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 105mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.