Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (11 ounces) caramels
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- Pecan halves for garnish, optional
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Set aside half of batter; pour remaining batter into a greased and floured 13x9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 18 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the caramels, milk and butter. Remove from heat; stir in nuts. Pour over cake. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, then pour reserved batter over top.
- Bake 20 minutes longer or until cake springs back when touched lightly. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares and top each with a pecan half if desired.
1 piece: 339 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 288mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.