- 2 tablespoons vegan butter-style sticks
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract (such as Vegemite)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; cook and stir until lightly golden brown, 8-9 minutes (do not burn).
- Whisk cornstarch and broth. Gradually whisk into flour mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, yeast extract, garlic salt and pepper.
Vegan Gravy Tips
How do you store vegan gravy?
You can store this vegan recipe for about 5 to 7 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
What can you serve vegan gravy with?
Serve your vegan gravy spooned over these Thanksgiving turkey alternatives and paired with vegan Thanksgiving sides. Round out your meal with even more vegan Thanksgiving recipes.
What are some variations of this recipe?You can customize this recipe by adding in your favorite herbs. Rosemary, fresh thyme or oregano would be perfect for this gravy recipe.
—Christina Herbst, Taste of Home Assistant Digital Editor, and Sarah Tramonte, Taste of Home Associate Culinary Producer
2 tablespoons: 28 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.