Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, walnuts, brown sugar, butter, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat water, yogurt and butter to 120°-130°; stir into flour mixture. Add enough of the remaining all-purpose to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each portion into a 15-in. rope. Place the ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 23-28 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
1 slice: 133 calories, 5g fat, 0 cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate, 2g fiber), 4g protein.