- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola oil, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt; set aside. In a large saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130° add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; shape into 12 balls. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven 400°. If desired, brush tops of rolls with oil. Bake until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
1 roll: 196 calories, 5g fat, 18mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate, 5g protein.